Australia is known for having one of the harshest climates in the world. Summers here can get extremely hot, with temperatures soaring as high as 123.3 degrees Fahrenheit (50.7 degrees Celsius). Given this, it’s not surprising that almost every home and office has an air conditioning system. It’s a necessary machine to keep everyday life more comfortable.
Contacting air conditioning installation specialists in Gold Coast makes it easy to bear extreme weather conditions. We rely on these units to keep temperatures convenient. However, these machines can be expensive. A simple split-type unit can cost around $900, depending on its brand and cooling capacity.
These systems, whilst costly, are necessary for any home or office. Purchasing a reliable brand is a good investment. A unit can last from 15 to 20 years. It goes without saying, though, that this is only possible with proper care and maintenance.
Keep your cooling systems clean.
Keeping your air conditioner clean is one of the easiest things you can do to improve its performance and lifespan. Dirty filters can reduce your system’s efficiency and increase your energy consumption by as much as 5%. They can block airflow to and from the unit, causing the system to work harder.
Experts at Daikin recommend giving your air filters a good wash at least every two weeks if you’re using the appliance in a residential environment. Those who work in more polluted environments should clean filters more often. In addition, you should be replacing them with manufacturer-approved filters once every one to three years.
There are some parts of your cooling system that you can’t clean on your own. Coils, condensate drains and fins can all collect dirt over time. For this, you’ll need to hire a professional to do the cleaning. Remember, never clean the cooling system’s interiors on your own. When you’re working with Freon, there’s always a safety risk involved.
Get regular maintenance check-ups.
The best way to prevent damages in your cooling system is to get regular check-ups from a licensed technician. Not all problems present themselves in noticeable ways. Without a trained eye, symptoms of defects are often overlooked. A professional serviceman can:
- Spot small refrigerant leaks
- Ensure that Freon levels are right
- Capture and safely dispose of Freon (dispersing refrigerant in the home is highly illegal and toxic)
- Check the evaporator coil’s airflow production
- Ensure electric terminals and connections are properly installed and that the non-conductive coating is still intact
- Calibrate the thermostat
A lot of people make the mistake of calling a professional when they need repairs. Whilst it’s inevitable to have problems with your cooling system over time, most damages are preventable. It is recommended that you get maintenance and a unit check-up once every year from Brisbane air conditioning.
Call a technician at the first sign of defects.
Never, under any circumstances, operate an air conditioning unit when it’s broken. You could end up causing more damage to the system.
Here are some symptoms to watch out for:
- The air conditioner doesn’t cool the room properly. – When your unit stops working efficiently, you’ll notice a gradual decrease in airflow. You may have the system on for hours at a time with little to no results. This may be a sign of a refrigerant leak. Released Freon is a major health and environmental concern. This may also be caused by dirty air conditioning coils. This is common in units that don’t get regular cleaning and maintenance. Since there’s no way to determine the severity of the problem, its best to contact a technician right away.
- The unit turns on and off erratically. – Most air conditioners are equipped with advanced temperature sensors. This device detects measures and regulates the temperature of air generated by the system. When the sensor acts up, the unit can switch on and off randomly. This is particularly common for digital systems.
- The unit won’t turn on at all – Like any electronic device, air conditioners are made of circuit boards, wires and terminals. Expect these components to wear down. Even a small disconnected or damaged part can prevent your unit from powering up.
Invest in a trusted brand.
Whilst these tips can help you prolong the lifespan of your air conditioning unit, the end results are ultimately up to the quality of the system. Investing in a reliable brand is a sure way to get more use out of your cooling system with lesser operational and repair costs.
Apart from having better quality air conditioners, you’ll also have more benefits from installing trusted brands. Their replacement parts are more readily available, making repairs and maintenance easier. Most also offer warranties and service insurance. This helps you save money on maintenance and repairs in the future. After all, these appliances are crucial investments for the convenience of your household or company.
Author: Carrie Sze